Friday, December 30, 2011
Lots of people say they don't like to have New Year's resolutions because they are "constantly improving themselves all year-long". Well, I DO need that re-start button at least once a year to remind me that we can continuously be re-invented, re-newed, and re-born.
To me, January 1st does represent a fresh start, a clean slate.
So what am I planning to improve in 2012?
1. EXERCISE. Be more consistent with my workouts. Its amazing how radically you can change your body when you commit. You can loose your job, you can loose your partner, but no one can take away the work you put into yourself, your health, and your body.
2. CLEAN. Pick up after myself more often (I'm like a Snail, I leave a trail of things behind everywhere I go). The trunk of my car has been a trash can for the past year. Oops, I forgot to dump that apple I packed back in May. I have plenty of "JUNK IN MY TRUNK" that needs a cleaning.
3. KIND. Be nicer to myself. The world is harsh enough as it is. If you are not nice to yourself, no one else will. This year I realized that no one will take care of your interests more than you. Love yourself, we can't do enough of that. Don't judge yourself to much. Don't compare yourself to anybody. Like they say, "the Sun shines for everyone", and I truly believe that.
4. PARENTS. Be better to my Mom and Dad. As teenagers we blame everything on them, and sometimes we forget to shake it off even in adulthood. They are human too and one day, they will not be here anymore.
5.THINK. Breathe and think before I react. I've lost friends and opportunities for over-reacting and being overly emotional. I've seen people lose their jobs because they lost their cool. As humans we are emotional creatures so kick the walls, destroy your pillows, pick up those boxing gloves and punch way, but do it when your home alone.
6. THE PLAN. Have confidence with Gods Plan, the Universe's Plan, Buddha's plan, whatever you are into. I truly believe their is a Plan for all of us and when you feel a lull in your life, the Powers are just working out your plan. Be patient. The architects may be doing a re-haul on your life and they are figuring out where to put your new kitchen, your new den and that nice pool.
7. ENJOY. I have had a career that has taken me to the best Hotels, Cities and Restaurants of the world, but believe it or not sometimes the best moments of my life have been the simple ones. Cuddling up with my boyfriend near a crackling fire. Watching my daughter overwhelmed with Joy at the park. Having a nice dinner with my mom. Yes, its cliche but cliches reflect deep truths. Everything gets old, even 5 star Hotels, and Limos. I know Im probably sounding crass right now but I am writing from my heart. We watch reality shows and we glamorize their lifestyle. If only we lived in a million dollar mansion, if only we had that great body, if only we made as much money as they did. Everything is relative. How many people in third world countries wish they could live OUR lifestyle? I have running warm water, enough clothes for this season and next, and hey, last night I ate Sushi for dinner! Now, thats pretty fancy to some, and if we don't ENJOY these things we are missing the moments. WE are the STARS of our own lives.
8. DON'T JUDGE. We are so quick to judge people before we know whats going on in their heads and in their lives. At the end of the day, most of us have deep fears of everything from losing our jobs to losing our health. We as humans, are all in this together. Lets support each other. If someone doesn't say hello back or ignores you, maybe they are dealing with something, give them a hug not a frown.
9. LEARN. I've been putting off Rosetta Stone's French Language DVD's. In Los Angeles we spend so many idle hours on freeways, might as well learn a new language and learn to tell the guy that just cut me off a word or two in a different language and then say "oops Pardon my French!".
10. LET GO. So a guy you dated a million years ago was a stupid A-hole, that Ex-boss was totally gross, condescending and not so smart, your old friend really hurt you. LET THEM GO, they obviously let YOU GO! We have all come across these kinds of gnats (GNAT: definition: an annoying insect that sucks blood from humans). Set them free, they were not good enough to stay in your life. Look around you and you will see that the quality of the people around you NOW has improved after these pests exited your life.
11. KEEP my New Years Resolutions.
***SOME OF YOU MAY BE JUDGING ME right now, so please refer to Number 8, 10 and 3 .
HAPPY NEW YEARS!
What are your New Years Resolutions? (comment below)
Monday, December 12, 2011
|Naibe Reynoso and Nely Galan|
|Nely Galan, Sandra Cisneros, Nell Merlino|
HERE THEY ARE, 10 TIPS FROM 3 FASCINATING, SUCCESSFUL WOMEN:
NELY GALAN~Motivational Words
- The Fear of Failure is your Best Friend.
- If you are scared (to speak up etc) use someone else's voice in your head to give you courage.
- Its never too late to right the wrongs in your life.
- There is NO Prince Charming.
- Sometimes when you lose you win and vice versa.
- Being Latina is the best of both worlds.
- In your deepest pain is your answer/There is darkness before light.
- Follow your bliss with a back-up position.
- Maintenance is extremely important.
- When you are good and do your work, miracles happen.
Nely Galan and me (Naibe Reynoso)
- Tell people what you want and need.
- Mobilize people you know to help you/Surround yourself with experts.
- Come up with products /ideas that solve everyday problems.
- Ask for help and teach others how to do it (delegate).
- When you are in charge, remember: YOU are the boss, its YOUR company.
- Figure out how to expand or franchise your product. Find customers.
- Let your imagination run wild. Start thinking with the End in mind.
- Don't wait for things to be perfect in your life they never will be.
- What are you going to do today to move Forward?
- Expect resistance.
|me and author Sandra Cisneros (House on Mango Street, Caramelo)|
- Write 10 things about yourself that make you unique.
- Always keep your word.
- Live for your own approval.
- Value your time, don't give it away to people who waste it.
- What are you using to cover or mask your pain? Address it
- Depression has a purpose if you use it before it uses you. Transform it to light Express your pain thru art.
- Your only true possessions are your actions.
- If you can't come out of sadness by yourself, see a professional curandera (healer, therapist).
- Listen to your body, its telling you something.
- Always know that you are special, the Universe has and will only create ONE of YOU.
- The conference was truly transformational. I was able to feel the love of other "hermanas" there. I really hope that in 2012, such a powerful and meaningful year in the Mayan Calendar which predicts a major transformation, that JUNTAS we will move forward, ADELANTE, and show the world the BEAUTY, INTELLIGENCE AND POTENTIAL that we have always carried within us and we are so desperate for the world to also recognize.
|"The Goddess" an altar created by artist Pattsi Valdez . All the dreams and wishes of the women present were pinned to her skirt.|
|the "Lets Talk" gang . Love the girls! I admire you !|
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Running a Marathon has always been on my Bucket-list, so I decided to be pro-active and take baby steps to accomplish that goal. I signed up for the SAY NO TO DRUGS HOLIDAY CLASSIC 10K on Dec 4, 2011 so I could test the waters. Next goal: a Half-Marathon and then a full blown 26. 2 mile Marathon.
I love fitness and I always change up my fitness routine. That's how I started getting into running. Its perfect when I don't feel like driving to the gym because I can run long distances around my neighborhood or just hop on my treadmill.
|My P.O.V at the Starting line butterflies in my stomach are in full force!|
|Thanks to former collegue Stephanie Simmons for introducing me to this Race!|
|Naibe Reynoso and Steph Simmons Post-Race!|
4:30 am- wake up- (it was early but I was excited)
5:00 am- drink a cup of coffee, eat boiled egg, change, get my wallet and Iphone and fanny pack ready.
6:00 am-drive to Race location (Universal City Walk)
6:30 am- get to location, park and wait. (oh and pee )
7:00 am- get out of my car, get my registration packet, safety pin my race number on shirt.(pee again)
7:25 am- go to the Start Line and get ready to hear the gun go off. (I had butterflys in my stomach)
7:30 am-run like the wind, up the steep hills through the Universal Studios backlot, past some of Hollywood's most famous sets including War of the Worlds, the Bates Motel and Psycho House, Whoville and more!
8:34 am-CROSS THE FINISH LINE ! Yeay ! I made it! in 1 hour 04 minutes!
So how does Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer come into play? Well, being a Race newbie, I had NO idea some runners get very festive during races close to the Holidays. There were people wearing antlers, Santa hats, and elves costumes.
So was the case with a lady that was running near me the entire race. At first I was ahead of her, of course I would be right? Well, low and behold, Reindeer Antler lady ran passed me and got way ahead at about the 3k mark of the run. Oh no, I wasn't having it. I had to run faster, not give up, and show that Red-Nosed reindeer what I was made of.
Towards the end of the race, Antler-lady and I were neck and neck. This was my first race, but I was not going to come in behind a woman who obviously had an aero-dynamic disadvantage on her head (although Santa may differ on this fact).
Cue the song "Chariots of Fire".... and picture me sprinting in slow motion to get to the Finish Line. From the corner of my eye, I could see an antler inching toward me, and that's when I found the inner strength to find the energy, cross the mark, and beat her!
|Naibe Reynoso, Steph Simmons , 2 friends and Crispin Lazarit|
After the race you check your name to see your exact times, and what place you came in. There are various categories ranging in age-range and your sex. Low and be-hold... I came in 3rd place in my Division for the 5k! And they gave me a commemorative metal. Whoo hoo...
Rudolph... bite my dust. (but I still expect you to deliver my Xmas present)
|Steph got 3rd Place in her Division too for 10K!|
|My 3rd Place Metal for 5K!|